FORUM - Chinatown KM (CKM) Scanlation Group. Thank you for visiting!

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CKM Scans closed!

Old chatbox is no longer working! Access it here - https://my.cbox.ws/ckmscans

New (empty) discord: https://discord.gg/c5ZXA5Y3

Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
xah
xah

Founder
VIP/other
QC
Gold Member

Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. Empty
PostSubject: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm afraid to say that the future of CKM looks bleak.

You're not about to lose me due to real life or lack of time or depression or fatigue or whatever you might think.

GCSB bill. Dear God, our current government needs to go to h--

What I do on the internet, actually whatever online or offline, they'll have some clue of what I'm doing.

Really I don't think what I do is that bad, evil, whatever. Theoretically reading manga, watching anime online is illegal but then again english publishers don't license a lot of stuff (and if they are = too slow). I buy a lot of what I scanlate. It's not like I stream movies all the time (I don't even watch movies anyway).

Thanks to the big crunch down on "illegal acts", I don't know what to do with CKM any more.

They probably won't bother me too much but NZ might as well become one of the most government-controlled developed countries in the world, but if they do decide to tackle me, I don't want my parents to be hurt.

What harm can a 15 year old girl do anyway?

So before I talk about my plan, I apologise for both my in-activeness and my decision (if it's bad).

The first idea is obviously close CKM, which I really don't want.

So I came up with this:

Next week: Final chapters I'll ever edit (typeset or clean). It'll be mainly Root WPB and Black Trick (this is just to be fair, after this, Manchurian Editor may choose to let another group adopt this project).

And thereon, I'm just going to translate. Translating manga technically isn't as bad right? I'm not editing images (=modifying things) and I'm posting the raws or anything. I'm just putting translations down for people to read (and imagine pictures if raws aren't online).

Everything will be uploaded onto pastebin.

Translations will include stuff I couldn't finish during my scanlation time, e.g Kaichou-kun no Shimobe, Cooking Master Boy..... these will be free for scanlation, but you must need my permission before using. They'll also be some translations of some manga I wanted to scanlate myself but never did...

Of course if some of the staff here who still plans on being extremely loyal to CKM, e.g proofreaders or cleaners or typesetters who are still going to willingly go on proofreading, cleaning, typesetting the manga I will translate, go on! I'll still put stuff up for you (in posts on this forum), but I don't plan to can't upload the images or actually participate in the editing now.

I'm not sure about the copyright-ness of the novels (e.g Gu Fang) so they're going on hold until I find out.

I don't know, but I'm really upset. The bill has been passed. They may be monitoring each and everyone of us down here --- what have we done to deserve this? I'm doomed. :(

If you ever planned to visit NZ one day, don't. Any place is better here. You hear construction 24/7, see builders or road-patchers down every other street and house-land prices are inflating (not really but kinda).

*Twitch*

I don't know what will happen in the future. I don't know if this situation will change. Even if you assume the worst, well, I don't know. I didn't want to close CKM so soon (still don't want to), so I'll just have to do this translation-thingy.

You guys have lost me due to the damn prime minister "the bill that is needed right now" because it threatens our right to live without constant surveillance. Funny, I feel like I'm living out of some sci-fi world at the moment.

Sigh  You'll see me again next week.

xah.
Back to top Go down
https://ckmscans.forumotion.com
briecheeze
briecheeze

VIP/other
Bronze Member

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 5:08 pm

sheesh, it sounds almost hitler like. And other countries are also following suit.
pale 

but you'll still visit the chat box, right?
Sad 
Back to top Go down
xah
xah

Founder
VIP/other
QC
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 5:58 pm

yup of course, you'll still see me at the chatbox Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. 1456087635 
briecheeze wrote:
sheesh, it sounds almost hitler like.  And other countries are also following suit.
pale 

but you'll still visit the chat box, right?
Sad 
Back to top Go down
OniGoji
OniGoji

Admin
VIP/other
Elite Regular

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 2:51 am

So CKMScans faces potential shutdown due to the new law that has passed in your country Xah? Damn, that's something that I REALLY don't want to happen. I mean, I know that I've only been apart of this scanlation group for nearly a whole year now. But this group has brought so much joy and great manga to so many fans and readers.

To stop all of that and just end it all is something that I'm against, I don't want to give up. And the people who I work with on ULTRAMAN and Godzilla feel the same way.

We could shutdown CKMScans and begin another forum site altogether. Xah you could provide translations, and anyone else willing to continue to scanlation your novel series can handle most of the work. Someone else could be a scan provider so that way, nothing can really be pinned on you. Your just harmlessly translating, there's no wrong in that. (Providing scans might be a different story, so let someone else get the scans and do cleaning, and all the releases).

So far, nothing like that has been passed over in the United States, I know that they are trying to pass SOPA again. But I feel that like the first time, it will be inevitably vetoed. So until otherwise, over here, I can still continue to scanlate and release.

I know things look bleak right now, but I think we can still save CKM, we'll just have to rebirth else where and continue from that new beginning.
Back to top Go down
flameshaft
flameshaft

Retired
Typesetter
Bronze Member

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 4:20 am

I agree with OniGoji...

I'm willing to keep on helping! We have to keep on hanging on, I would hate to see this great community and forum disappear.

I'm sure everyone else feels this way.
Back to top Go down
http://flameshaft.deviantart.com
briecheeze
briecheeze

VIP/other
Bronze Member

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 am

we all want you to stay, xah...boo hoo
Sad 
Back to top Go down
Manchurian_editor

Retired
Translator
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:25 am

WE'RE FINISHED!?!?!?!?!?!?
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop sounding so pessimistic!!!
Where is this law from?!
Lets just persuade Australia to invade them tomorrow...
Ok being serious:

I like this group, I love this group and I'd die for this group...天皇陛下萬歲!萬歲!萬歲!

This was the first ever scanlation group I joined...
I translated lots of mangas, and got to learn about the "manga business"
Although I work with another scanlation group as well, I still live and breathe Chinatown KM!Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. 3180910296 

This law could potentially be quite bad...(the news article made it sound like 1984?!)
But being serious I don't want us to close down.
If possible why don't Chinatown km start working together with my other group: BAPscans.

We should stay as a separate group, but by collaborating with each other we can keep releasing more and more mangas...BAPscans right now need more staff anyway...

But yeah, this choice is up to you...

Back to top Go down
KawaiiPanda10
KawaiiPanda10

Retired
Proofreader
Regular

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 6:48 pm

Oh no Shocked 
I really hope you don't have to go to the extend of shutting down this group, because I've really grown to love this group and everyone in it (Though I'm always here and there in the chatbox Embarassed )
I'd really like to continue working with everyone, because like @Manchurian_editor, this is the first scanlation group I joined and I love it. I LAFF LAFF LAFF IT I love you 
Back to top Go down
http://the-perky-fangirl.tumblr.com
OniGoji
OniGoji

Admin
VIP/other
Elite Regular

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 7:18 am

Mmm, well, if shutdown is looking more and more of a possibility, then perhaps we could merge with another scanlation group as Manchurian_editor suggested.

Anyway, like many others, this being my first scanlation group, I too do not want to see CKM disappear off the grid.

But we can either do a collaborated merger, or we could start up a whole new group all together and just rebirth ourselves. I'm more on the side of creating a whole new CKM, it could be called:
CKM Scans -Rebirth.

Just to hint loyal fans and followers in knowing that CKM hasn't gone away, and that for Xah's safety, we've started over and begun anew. She'll still remain an Admin upon the new site, and every other translator/cleaner/Mod/Admin from the old site will retain their status as well. But Xah's activities will be much direct in providing translations, while someone else handles typesetting and cleaning. After that, if she wanted to, she could release the chapter all on her own like she would here and now.

With this, then at least Xah won't have to worry about eyes looking over her shoulder. She's just translating after all. Not providing scans, typesetting, cleaning, just simply translating. Completely harmless to most invisible higher up head figures. And besides, it's not like they'll just pick her out directly from a pool of millions and millions of citizens. So again, with this, then she's as safe as she can be.

CKM can still have a future, we just have to plan it out carefully to assure that it has one.
Back to top Go down
xah
xah

Founder
VIP/other
QC
Gold Member

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 pm

Aww, I almost cried reading everybody's comments. To be honest, I don't want CKM to close either, and to be honest, I don't think it will either.

Just picking up some comments....
_______
The main thing is that NZ has a relatively small population in a relatively small bit of land, therefore its relatively easier for them to pick people... There's supposed to be a big knuckle-down on piracy. :/
OniGoji wrote:
And besides, it's not like they'll just pick her out directly from a pool of millions and millions of citizens.
Haha, lol. Suspect 
Manchurian_editor wrote:
Lets just persuade Australia to invade them tomorrow...
I noticed you were working with that group! I've been noticing almost every release (apart from yaoi and hentai) and I saw it when BAPscans started scanlating The Wrong Room. I really wanted to say "good for you" but I couldn't get round to saying it. Sigh 

I think it's still better to stay a separate group...
Quote :
If possible why don't Chinatown km start working together with my other group: BAPscans.

We should stay as a separate group, but by collaborating with each other we can keep releasing more and more mangas...BAPscans right now need more staff anyway...
Awwwww.......
flameshaft wrote:
I'm willing to keep on helping! We have to keep on hanging on, I would hate to see this great community and forum disappear.
briecheeze wrote:
we all want you to stay, xah...boo hoo
Although not directed at me, this was really sweet. Shy 
KawaiiPanda10 wrote:
I'd really like to continue working with everyone, because like @Manchurian_editor, this is the first scanlation group I joined and I love it. I LAFF LAFF LAFF IT
Rolling Eyes As Ravie isn't here, I'd like to apologise to her here and thank her for being so loyal (=2nd staff who joined me) over the year (and some months).
_______
I think the main decision is that I will never edit another (manga) image. This means both cleaning, typesetting or QCing (as  in checking dust or something). It's kind of sad I really only learned photoshop to start cleaning (and I got so good at it too, much better than my teachers).

The other decision was to stop uploading stuff. What's done is done at the moment, I'm not going to remove my old uploads, but at the same time I'll stop posting raws (includes linking to external sites) and if someone else does scanlation under the group name (CKM Scans/Chinatown KM), I can't write the announcing posts or put the links in the appropriate forum....(does that make sense?)

That means I'm basically just translating. I'm going to buy everything that I will translate/has bought what I am translating. Some of these may not have public raws. These translations will basically be compensation for the projects I really wanted to finish but just couldn't (particularly Cooking Master Boy). If anyone who stays behind to edit what I translate may release that scanlation under the name, but I won't be there to release it (or 'announce' it on mangaupdates).

I know that some of you are really only here for Gu Fang (novel). I think I might actually contact the publisher (who probably won't agree, so be warned). I'd ask Feng Nong herself but she doesn't put her email address on anything, she rarely participates on her forum either. okay... Oh well, I'll think of something.

And yeah, I'll be at the chatbox. You can find me anywhere! =D I wasn't on yesterday because I almost couldn't face you guys.........it's really hard to break something so miserable to you people.

So....just translating~~ Still here so don't worry~~ It'll work out~~ :D

xah

P.S: On later notes, both my sister and I have decided to stop watching anime and reading manga (for real) Sigh I guess translating manga is the same as reading though, so I guess maybe watching fansubbed anime and reading scanlated manga. How depressing T_T, but not as depressing when your incoming phone calls are "monitored" as well.
Back to top Go down
StarWarrior
StarWarrior

Mod/Support
VIP/other
Proofreader
Elite Regular

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. EmptySun Sep 15, 2013 12:46 pm

CKM is a family Very Happy  and that means we stick together. Thick and thin. Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. 3553681847 
Back to top Go down
http://forgottensound.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.   Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak. Empty

Back to top Go down

Misc: The future of CKM? Looks bleak.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1